[Newbies] Re: Squeak - for a different Summer of Code!

Serge Stinckwich Serge.Stinckwich at info.unicaen.fr
Fri Mar 16 08:12:07 UTC 2007

Giovanni Corriga a écrit :
> Hi all,
>
> as you may know, Squeak has been accepted as a mentoring organization
> for the Google Summer of Code 2007 program.

Great work Giovanni !!! You did a better work than me. Last year, i had
tried to contact Google, but I had no success.

> Squeak is an open source dialect of Smalltalk, a pure OO programming
> language that takes object orientation principles to their limits.
> Development in Squeak will be quite different from what you may
> experience in Java, C#, Ruby or Python, yet it will be very fulfilling.
>
> So, why not Squeak for the Summer of Code?
>
> Squeak will offer you:
> a productive environment to develop your ideas - a great community
> a first class mentoring program - appreciation and value for your work
>
> Possible project areas include:
> Virtual Machine - Compiler
> User Interface - OS Integration
> Development and End-user Tools
> The Seaside Web Framework
> and many more!

Is the list of SOC projects close ? I would to propose to work on a
better multilingual support for Squeak. At the moment, it's difficult to
translate the Squeak interface, because there is several Squeak image
(Squeakland, 3.9, OLPC, ...). I think we could improve Yoshiki's work in
order to have a central repository for the translations (maybe something
like Rosetta : https://launchpad.net/rosetta) and a more modular
approach in order to attach messages catalog to packages and not to the
whole image.

--                                                         oooo
Dr. Serge Stinckwich                                     OOOOOOOO
Université de Caen>CNRS UMR 6072>GREYC>MAD               OOESUGOO
http://purl.org/net/SergeStinckwich                       oooooo
Smalltalkers do: [:it | All with: Class, (And love: it)]   \  /
                                                             ##