[Newbies] A Question of Style

Tim Johnson trilobyte at hoe.nu
Fri Mar 30 16:22:22 UTC 2007

Hi,

I know the rules for naming accessor and setter methods.  But what do I do
when the accessor method needs a parameter?  I'll try to provide an
example.

A vendor sells an item called #apple.  If I want to get the vendor's price
for that #apple, I use a method such as the following:

Vendor>>priceOf: aSymbol

Now, to make the setter method, I have followed this pattern:

Vendor>>priceOf: aSymbol is: newPrice

Does this follow traditional patterns?  I'll admit I have read the first
half of "Smalltalk with Style" but not the second.  Should I instead make
the setter method look like this:

Vendor>>setPriceOf: aSymbol to: newPrice

?

Thanks,
Tim

[PS - Thanks to everyone who has been helping me on here lately, I have
been lax in responding.  You all bring up some good ideas and tips.]