[Newbies] do it, print it, inspect it, explore it, debug it missing from workspace menu

Mike Stramba mstramba at sympatico.ca
Sat May 19 12:20:51 UTC 2007

Hi Subbu,

Thanks for the great tips ! .. and for taking an interest.

I don't know if you saw my follow up message, but thanks to some helpful
people on IRC #squeak, I was reminded that I had turned on "novice" mode.

The "VM" paradigm is both interesting and frustrating.  I really do actually
"digging" around and it's neat that you can trace / debug / browse
everything on the system.  Squeak suffers from the same-old open source
curse though that I've found with just about ever other o.s. package ...
lack of good documentation.

For example, I've been also playing with Ruby / Ruby on Rails, and .. though
admittedly an isolated case,  their is no comparison for the  documentation
for their "Intro / Newbie web appication compared to what I found for the
Magma database on the Wiki.   The OmniBasse docs look better, but my first
attempt at installing it into Squeak 3.9-7067 have so far failed, I'll try
an older image.

You sound like you've been programming with Smalltalk for awhile :)   I've
done some programming with a lot of languages but I'm not a real "hard core"
programmer.

Have you done anything with Seaside / web/remote programming in general?
Have you used SeasideHosting  (www.seasidehosting.st) ?

In the Seaside image there is a remote browser that lets you change classes
/etc remotely,  I'd like to setup a remote "workspace" where I could issue
commands to my image over the internet, especially since I'm on dialup, and
my image is ~25meg !

I'm looking at the seaside classes and the looking for that remote browser
class ,and also the "native" "doit" command to try to cobble something
together, but any tips you can offer (including a "that's not possible"
would be great.  I'll take a look on SqueakMap and see if it's already been
done.

ttyl

Mike

I tried to get a smaller image (seaside2.6) running there but haven't had
much luck yet.