[Newbies] invoking a *class* method from a workspace

mstram mstramba at sympatico.ca
Sat May 26 16:32:24 UTC 2007

Well obviously I need to a lot more reading and experimenting with this,
even if  "class" methods are "regular" methods, there is something different
with them as far as :

1) the syntax to access them  ("fire" .. "call" .. "invoke" ??? what is the
traditional term ? )

2) At least one difference I've found is that I when tried to create a
"class" method that accessed an instance variable, Squeak warned that the
variable didn't exist and asked if I wante to create it (is this a bug?) ...
even though it was "declared" in the class definition.

I tried modifying my MikeTest to :

Object subclass: #MikeTest
	instanceVariableNames: 'ivar1'
	classVariableNames: 'Cvar1'
	poolDictionaries: ''
	category: 'Mike1'

and adding :

A) -----------"instance method " -------------------------------

imet: ivar icmet: cvar
        ivar1 := ivar.
        Cvar1  := cvar.
	^ 'I am an instance method'

iget
  |temp|
     temp := Dictionary new.
     temp at: 'ivar1' put: ivar1.
     temp at: 'cvar1' put: Cvar1.
     ^ temp.

and

B)   --------------"class method " --------------------------------
cmet: ivar ccmet: cvar
        ivar1 := ivar.
	  Cvar1  := cvar.

	  Cvar1  := cvar.
     ^ 'I am a Class Method'
cget
  |temp|
     temp := Dictionary new.
     temp at: 'cvar1' put: Cvar1.
    temp  at: 'ivar1' put: ivar1.
     ^ temp.
=================================

(I realize 'iget' and 'cget' are the same thing, I just wanted to see if
there is any difference when running them.)

But Squeak says that 'ivar1' is undeclared and asks if I want to declare it.
It accepts it being declared as an instance variable (even though it already
was according to the class definition ... (is this a bug?).

I can set / retrieve the variables with either the "class" or "instance"
methods, so I'm not sure why Classes have been setup in Squeak using both
types of methods.

t1 := MikeTest new.

result := MikeTest cmet: 'Class method setting inst var ivar1-> inst44'
ccmet: 'Class method setting class var Cvar1 -> Class01'