[Newbies] Re: Question / Thought about absence of any standard onlinehelp

Herbert König herbertkoenig at gmx.net
Fri Nov 2 09:40:18 UTC 2007

Hello itsyou213,

>> Is there some reason why the myriad tools in Squeak don't have even a
>> placeholder button or menu item for online help? From my newbies point of

Squeak has balloon help which is like windows hints but bigger. This
is easy to attach to any morph.

>> view it is very frustrating to try to do something (refactor to extract a
>> method with a parameter, most recently) and be confronted with a totally
>> new editor (Selector editor, in this case) and not have any idea about
>> what the panels and buttons mean (Up? Down? Ok?). I finally figured it

They have balloon help, just hover over the button.

>> out, but it took 15 minutes of blind trial and error. It is very
>> disheartening and a huge hurdle for someone who wants to get started with
>> Squeak.
That one took long for me too and I still haven't written a note so
it's a bit of try and error every time I use it. With the other tools
I had no such problems. Pretty much know one know all.

As for documentation: search the swiki (wiki.squeak.org) for
documentation team or contact Matthew Fulmer if you want to help.

And with Squeak by example from Stephane Ducasse Squeak has a recent and
up to date introduction.

Anyway, Welcome here!

Cheers

Herbert                            mailto:herbertkoenig at gmx.net