[Newbies] How do different "package"-like things relate

Edgar J. De Cleene edgardec2001 at yahoo.com.ar
Fri Nov 2 17:50:24 UTC 2007

El 11/2/07 1:40 PM, "itsme213" <itsme213 at hotmail.com> escribió:

> I see package-like things in many places:
> - Universe Browser
> - Monticello Browser
> - SqueakMap Browser
>
> Do all these have the same notion of a package, and the same source for
> their packages? I am a bit confused because I see some "package"-like
> instances in one browser that don't seem to match what I see in the others.
>
> Thanks.

What a package is in Squeak world is still on discussion.
But the short answer is the most recent versions of any is in .mcz form,
that is Monticello format.
Monticello could take code from image, typical all categories starting to
some like 'Balloon'.
So Balloon package code have all clases in 'Balloon-Collections',
'Balloon-Engine' , etc, plus "extension methods" in classes out the
categories 'Balloon'.
If on the "base", at the moment Squeak3.10.1beta.7141.image , the last code
is on 3.10 repository.
If not on "base" image, could be on SqueakSource , reached with Monticello
Browser.
Or the author could have older (or not) in SqueakMap or in Universes.
Of courses , could exists different versions for the same package.
As I said , new squeakers have less risk if use Universes.
This don't means you could't use SqueakMap, of course you could as always
before.
But if you don't see 'xyz' package clear labelled 3.10 compatible, wait
owners updated it.

If have more questions, I try to help.

Edgar