[Newbies] Re: monticello package - adding instance variables toexisting classes

itsme213 itsme213 at hotmail.com
Fri Nov 16 02:40:36 UTC 2007

"Matthew Fulmer" <tapplek at gmail.com> wrote in message
> On Thu, Nov 15, 2007 at 07:50:54PM -0600, itsme213 wrote:
>> I understand how Monticello deals with me adding (in my package) some
>> methods to an existing class like Object (from other package).
>>
>> How does it deal with me adding an instance variable?
>
> If you mean in a class outside you're package, it doesn't

Does that mean I cannot (or am not supposed to) add inst-vars to existing
classes homed in other packages? I was hoping that doing this, and adding
lazy initializing accessors, would allow for an aop-style definition of some
classes. Class even has a method #addInstVarName:

I am curious about the reasons for this restriction. Is it because of the
way Monticello relies on method category names?

Thanks.