[Newbies] Re: Re: monticello package - adding instance variablestoexisting classes

Matthew Fulmer tapplek at gmail.com
Fri Nov 16 16:08:02 UTC 2007

On Fri, Nov 16, 2007 at 08:36:22AM -0600, itsme213 wrote:

> "Matthew Fulmer" <tapplek at gmail.com> wrote in message
> > What are you trying to do, exactly?
>
> Currently just experimenting to decide some architectural choices, one of
> which would define some of my classes in an aspect-oriented style: different
> aspects of overlapping classes -- including i-vars -- defined in different
> packages. Going to property dictionaries would give up too much other stuff.

That doesn't really answer my question, but...

The usual way to develop in squeak is to build something that
mostly works, and you will discover along the way what you need
to refactor. I read Aspect Oriented Programming at Wikipedia,
since I don't really know what you are talking about. It looked
like it is primarily concerned with implementing functionality
across a set of objects. This is the purpose of the decorator
pattern, which Pier is based on, and is now also finding it's
way into Seaside via Keith Hodges' plugins.

Again, what are you building?

> Traits might solve some of this, but I don't think I want to be that much on
> the bleeding edge ...

Traits aren't bleeding edge; they've been in the stable release
for a year now. Namespaces, spoon, and SecureSqueak are more
what I call bleeding edge.

Traits don't seem to me to be related to the security example
used at the Wikipedia entry on AOP. That is specifically
designed to intercept and provide pluggable processing of
messages. For instance, Pier Unix security is just a decorator
added to each document in the pier document hierarchy that
assigns permissions for actions.