[Newbies] Designing a calender

Herbert König herbertkoenig at gmx.net
Thu Oct 4 13:57:22 UTC 2007

Hello Darren,

g> This morning I woke up with a decision to create a calender in squeak for
g> the fun of it.
good way to wake up :-)

g> How I visually see this is that a calender has years which in turn hold
g> month, which in turn holds days and days have events. I'm not interested in
g> adding times to the days, times will be added to the event text.

Um, I've been thinking about this several times already

Some examples:

Meet Jim at his office on December 30. Jim got a bellyache. The event
stays the same but you got to stick it into another month which you
find in yet another year.

I dislike that.

The fact that you wake up with the plan to design a calendar for fun
hints, that your personal calendar isn't that crammed right now, so
why have empty days?

I would have a collection of events which (may) carry a date. "I
should empty the waste bin" type of events don't.

So I would make finding the events of a day (or other timespan) a
function method.

If you have a 3.8 or older image you might want to look at MonthMorph
which does its job without carrying days. For 3.9 the PDA on SqueakMap
has the MonthMorph. I often use it as a day picker.

g> One aria where I'm confused is if an instance of class Calender holds
g> instances of class Year; how many years instances dose the calender hold?
g> Are years created as needed or should say one hundred years, into the future
g> be created when the calender is created? What I'm thinking is that an
g> instance of class year should be created when a date is added to that year.
g> Am I looking at this all the wrong way?

Can't tell if it's wrong but I personally think the calendar is the
means and the ends are the events.

g> As I see it repeat events need to be accessed by all instances of class
g> year. So It would seem that a class variable is the best place to store

This just looks like things get complicated because your thoughts
center around the calendar instead around the events.

g> these. How do instance methods access class variables?
By using its name (which is capitalised) just like it accesses an
instance variable. Or by adding an accessor for the class and using
that one.

Cheers

Herbert                            mailto:herbertkoenig at gmx.net