[Newbies] Designing a calender

John Almberg jalmberg at identry.com
Thu Oct 4 14:48:57 UTC 2007

Another way to put it is the events are the data and a calendar is
*one way* to view that data. Another view would be a list of events.
If you separate the events from the view used to display them, the
design looks a lot simpler.

-- John

On Oct 4, 2007, at 9:57 AM, Herbert König wrote:

> Hello Darren,
>
> g> This morning I woke up with a decision to create a calender in
> squeak for
> g> the fun of it.
> good way to wake up :-)
>

> g> How I visually see this is that a calender has years which in
> turn hold
> g> month, which in turn holds days and days have events. I'm not
> interested in
> g> adding times to the days, times will be added to the event text.
>
> Um, I've been thinking about this several times already
>
> Some examples:
>
> Meet Jim at his office on December 30. Jim got a bellyache. The event
> stays the same but you got to stick it into another month which you
> find in yet another year.
>
> I dislike that.
>
> The fact that you wake up with the plan to design a calendar for fun
> hints, that your personal calendar isn't that crammed right now, so
> why have empty days?
>
> I would have a collection of events which (may) carry a date. "I
> should empty the waste bin" type of events don't.
>
> So I would make finding the events of a day (or other timespan) a
> function method.
>
> If you have a 3.8 or older image you might want to look at MonthMorph
> which does its job without carrying days. For 3.9 the PDA on SqueakMap
> has the MonthMorph. I often use it as a day picker.
>
> g> One aria where I'm confused is if an instance of class Calender
> holds
> g> instances of class Year; how many years instances dose the
> calender hold?
> g> Are years created as needed or should say one hundred years,
> into the future
> g> be created when the calender is created? What I'm thinking is
> that an
> g> instance of class year should be created when a date is added to
> that year.
> g> Am I looking at this all the wrong way?
>
> Can't tell if it's wrong but I personally think the calendar is the
> means and the ends are the events.
>
> g> As I see it repeat events need to be accessed by all instances
> of class
> g> year. So It would seem that a class variable is the best place
> to store
>
> This just looks like things get complicated because your thoughts
> center around the calendar instead around the events.
>
> g> these. How do instance methods access class variables?
> By using its name (which is capitalised) just like it accesses an
> instance variable. Or by adding an accessor for the class and using
> that one.
>
> Cheers
>
> Herbert                            mailto:herbertkoenig at gmx.net

Websites for On-line Collectible Dealers
Identry, LLC
John Almberg
(631) 546-5079
jalmberg at identry.com