[Newbies] A question of Squeak

David Corking lists at dcorking.com
Sun Oct 28 15:37:02 UTC 2007

On 10/27/07, Offray Vladimir Luna Cardenas wrote:

> Hi All and thanks Edgar, David and Karl for your answers,

Edgar must have replied privately - I didn't see it.

> The person who made the question is one of my students. I invited him to
> ask here because I believe that becoming part of a community of practice
> is the best way to learn (well was nice to know that this "intuition" is
> deeply studied in the book Communities of Practice by Etienne Wenger).

Some people don't like to answer schoolwork questions on mailing
lists, but as long as it is encouraged by the teacher it is ok with
me.

Luis - Next time it might help if you explain more detail about your
project in the first mail.  But don't worry, I think this is what the
Newbies mailing list is for.

There is a BotsInc mailing list at:

http://smallwiki.unibe.ch/botsinc/community/

> With your help we finally found our way to make the Bots look like
> anything we want. The idea is that we made the dress for the Bot in an
> external program (inkscape, to have a freely scalable image), export to
> png and after that this code make the conversion the work:
>

> | unaForma prueba |
> unaForma := ImageReadWriter formFromFileNamed: 'cactus.png'.
> prueba := FileStream newFileNamed: 'cactus', '.frm'.
> unaForma storeOn: prueba.

Thanks for sharing your code.  It doesn't work for me - but I will
play with it as a learning exercise.
I think 'costume' is a better English word than 'dress' :)

> We are, as always, creating our organic memory in Eduwiki:
>
> http://eduwiki.info/Dramabotica/Escenarios
> http://eduwiki.info/Dramabotica/Dialogos

Good - I wish I could read Spanish!

> Pdt: Is nice to know that Bots Inc is in Google Books.

It is searchable, but you can't read the whole book ;)

> Do you know if
> there is some organization which we can contact to support the
> liberation of this book and, for example, made Spanish freely
> distributable translations and even get some licensing scheme similar to
> the excellent Squeak by example?

You could always ask the author - Stephane - it was his idea to make
'Squeak by Example' free, as far as I know.  But the Robots book is
still in print, so I expect his publisher won't let him make it free.
(I think Apress publish one or two freely distributable books - but I
think that is negotiated before publication.)

Did you start translating 'Squeak by Example'?