[Newbies] MIDI support

stan414 squeak414 at free.fr
Mon Oct 29 20:48:13 UTC 2007

(cross posted to beginners and audio)

Hello everybody. I'm developing a project for which I need a MIDI music
keyboard as input. I started out on a Windows box, and all the components
seemed to be there. I've since swapped to Ubuntu, and it seems that the MIDI
support is a problem.

>From here:
http://www.nabble.com/Midi-Input-with-Squeak-tf3749891.html#a10596965 I see
that Eric asked the same question in May, without resolution.

It appears that what I need to do is to build a vm with the MIDI plug-in -
http://www.nabble.com/modules,-plugins,-primitives,-and-MIDIPlugin-t3728328.html

However, from here:
http://www.nabble.com/modules%2C-plugins%2C-primitives%2C-and-MIDIPlugin-tf3728328.html#a10453224
it looks like even with a vm build I may not get MIDI in.

As a newbie, I'm not too keen to get into vm building just yet.

So my question is/are, is there any image available with MIDI support? If
not, is the build thing a big undertaking? Are there any other creative
approaches (e.g. use an old version of Siren, wait for Siren port proposed
at http://www.nabble.com/Siren-on-Squeak-tf3802040.html)? Is my analysis of
the state of play correct?

Thanks for any help- I really don't want to have to go back to Windows, or
worse to Java.

Stan

PS I tried the Etoys/OLPC image, SimpleMIDIPort midiIsSupported  returns
false there too. On Windows image it returns true.