[Newbies] Second transcript window?

Göran Krampe goran at krampe.se
Tue Sep 11 07:48:32 UTC 2007

Hi folks!

The "issues" with Transcript keep popping up over the years.

In Gjallar we built a simple Log framework - it is on SM these days called
SimpleLog. It has a Morhpic UI and other features. I should also look at
ToothPick from Joseph Pelrine and see what can be borrowed/integrated -
AFAIK ToothPick supports the syslog UDP protocol and I never got around to
that.

But anyway, SimpleLog is here (check the page for trivial usage pattern):

http://map.squeak.org/packagebyname/simplelog

The second thing we could do is to put SharedStreams into the image and
probably replace SharedQueue with it (SharedStreams should be a superset
of SharedQueue and also be a magnitude faster for character streams) and
at the same time use it for Transcript thus creating a faster and thread
safe variant (multiple producers, single consumer).

regards, Göran

PS. Yes, this is the beginners list - but hey. :)