[Newbies] FreeType installation

Nick Ager nick.ager at gmail.com
Mon Sep 17 21:58:07 UTC 2007

Hi,

I'm using the image from http://damien.cassou.free.fr/squeak-web/sq3.9-
7067web07.08.1.zip and struggling to install the FreeType Plus package using
the "Package Universe Browser".

The installation freezes with the popup message "installing FreeType Plus-
plugins version 0.13" and a progress bar "Preamble" that fails to make any
progress!

Attempting to debug the problem, I started with a fresh image and installed
FFI. The FFI tests pass. Then FreeType successfully installs four dlls:
freetype6.dll, ft2plugin.dll, BitBltPlugin.dll and msvsr71.dll, at which stage
the installation freezes. I failed to interrupt the running process and found
the only way to stop it was to kill squeak. It seems to be that Squeak is
caught in some endless loop, which is gradually using more memory - Windows
starts giving me low virtual memory warnings after sometime.

When I restart squeak, the same thing happens - the system appears to hang, no
screen redraws, but consuming more and more RAM as time passes.

Removing the FreeType DLLs from my squeak directory allows me to restart
squeak and run as normal.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance,

Nick