[Newbies] Quinto game in SBE

David Corking lists at dcorking.com
Mon Sep 24 17:10:50 UTC 2007

Bill Kerr wrote:

> Problems:
> 1) the final line of the SBECell initialize method:
> self turnOff
> triggers a MessageNotUnderstood error
> doesNotUnderstand: #turnOff

> turns out that my problem was that I was using an old 3.8 image
>
> I learnt from the book how to file out and file in - as soon as I tested my
> code in the 3.9 image it worked fine!
>
>  A friend sent me some other information from the bugs site pointing out a
> bug in SimpleSwitchMorph in earlier versions:
>  http://bugs.squeak.org/print_bug_page.php?bug_id=3530

> switch functionality

In 2007,  many people's introduction to Squeak may be with an image
derived from 3.8 (*).  So I wonder if the book should not mention this
patch prominently at the start of the First Application chapter.

By the way, I probably learned a lot about Squeak by wrestling with
this for a while this weekend without access to internet or a 3.9
image :)

David

(*) such as Croquet SDK, OLPC Etoys ...