[Newbies] Misunderstanding Squeak

Andreas Wacknitz A.Wacknitz at gmx.de
Mon Apr 7 20:52:15 UTC 2008

Nathan Lane schrieb:
> I just realized that I need to clarify something else, I don't have
> difficulty "thinking in objects", I can do that just fine, as Java and
> C# have both taught me this extensively. I just don't understand how to
> use Squeak objects to develop a useful program.

There are subtle differences between C++, C# and Java objects and
Smalltalk objects. Take a copy of Kent Beck's "Smalltalk - Best Practice
 Patterns" in order to make familiar with good Smalltalk style. This
will give you some hints.

Smalltalk is a dynamically typed language that makes it different from
the C family of languages you already know. And it has an image with
"living" objects which makes it different to other dynamic languages
like Ruby.
This, together with its orthogonality and its tools, make Smalltalk a
totally new and advanced system. Alas it takes some time to find this
out and many don't realise it all.
For me it took some time to accept that such an "old" language is far
superior to all "new" languages.

Andreas