[Newbies] Newbie assortment

johnps11 at bigpond.com johnps11 at bigpond.com
Tue Apr 8 21:58:17 UTC 2008

Hi Sven,

Yes, I'm in Oz, on the Gold Coast.  I'm not an expert on Squeak by any
means, but I'm using it in maths education, and thinking seriously about
using it for a PhD in Maths Education in a couple of years.  I know of one
other guy (a PHP wizard) who was pretty wowed by Seaside and Squeak, I
think he's using it for prototyping.  Last I heard he was in Melbourne.

I don't think it really matters where people are geographically these days
in a project like this, as no-one is further away than an email or a blog.

I think that as more people realise that the monstrosity called Java
doesn't really provide the real benefits of OOP (and that it is too hard
to get real work done with it - I object to objects that have to advertise
their interfaces) there will be more and more people turning to real
Dynamic Objects.  We are only just starting to see a turn from Java/C# in
the Universities here, so I expect that we'll see ST starting to get
noticed again here in about 5 years.  Now is the time to get a head start.
, IMHO.

Yrs,

John