[Newbies] Re: squeak 'wysiwyg' application?

Klaus D. Witzel klaus.witzel at cobss.com
Sun Apr 13 10:40:56 UTC 2008

On Sun, 13 Apr 2008 11:59:35 +0200, Sven Schott wrote:

> Sorry, another beginner here. :)

Welcome Sven :)

> I've installed Scamper(12) several times (I'm on the 3.9.1-final-7075
> image
> for Mac) but when I try to run it I get and UndefinedObject parse: error.
> I'm guessing that's the equivalent of my beloved NilObject thing in Ruby
> (message passed to a null reference).
>
> Any ideas?

Sure ;) In SqueakMap the packages usually list their dependencies, have
you checked that required packages are already loaded. If so then I'd
suggest you contact the package's maintainer, Scamper(12) says that it
runs in the 3.9 .images and I'm sure they can help you.

> Also, I find that many of the libraries aren't updated for 3.9 yet (3.10
> has
> been released so it don't inspire confidence). Is this just a hiccup or
> are
> many of the libraries not updated. Also, is stuff broken so quickly
> between releases?

There is a concerted initiative, Squeak-dev and Squeak-web .images
containing Universe, in which authors provide a one-click-load experience
for things to run out-of-the-box. You might want to check the most recent
releases,

-
http://lists.squeakfoundation.org/pipermail/squeak-dev/2008-April/127393.html

If you want to have another package added to that list I'd suggest you
consider contacting the package's maintainer.