[Newbies] I am a total beginner with some questions

Bert Freudenberg bert at freudenbergs.de
Fri Apr 18 00:31:50 UTC 2008

kennellgr (*),

you are dealing with a computer, who is by far not as tolerant as a
human. You have to be precise. When I wrote "The path should start
with '/Users'" I literally meant that. The first character in the path
has to be a slash ('/'). I guess Marcus guessed that you had dealt
with computers before so his example was a tiny bit vague.

Also, as I wrote, please (!) open a File List. Click on the Squeak
window background, choose "open...", then "file list". Look at the
title bar of the file list window *carefully*. The path displayed
there should start with a slash character, too.

Incidentally, you can use the file list to open your picture file,
too. Navigate to the right folder and press the "open" button. Or, you
could have dropped the jpg file from the finder into Squeak. This uses
the full path to the file internally, which is much easier and less
prone to errors than having to type it manually. If you need the path
in your code, select to the file in the file list, and choose "copy
name to clipboard" from the context menu (alt-click or ctrl-click).
Then paste it to the workspace.

On a final note, when you open a file list, it will show Squeak's
"default directory". In this directory it places a file called
"SqueakDebug.log" whenever an error occurs. It's more useful to post
that file than making a screenshot.

Have fun!

- Bert -

(*) We prefer real names in the Squeak community. Makes communication
much nicer.