[Newbies] Downloading the Squeak By Example Sources from the SVN reposotory

Steve Lloyd lloyd.steve at gmail.com
Sat Apr 19 07:43:46 UTC 2008

Hi Offray

To download the sources from a svn repository, you should install svn client
software on your computer. There are many types of this but examples of
versions which provide a graphical user interface are
<http://www.syncrosvnclient.com/>
on PC http://tortoisesvn.tigris.org/ is very popular as it integrates with
Windows Explorer

on Mac/PC/Linux (requires registration for 30-day trial)
http://www.syncrosvnclient.com/

a Mac svn client which uses the command line is at
http://homepage.mac.com/martinott/Subversion-1.4.4.pkg.zip

and there are other packages for linux (eg on Ubuntu look for the package
'subversion')

Once you have the client installed there will be a way of adding a new
repository location-put in the location of the SBE sources, and then you can
'check out' a copy of the sources to a local copy on your disk.

If you end up using a svn command line client the command to check out the
SBE sources would be

svn checkout https://www.iam.unibe.ch/scg/svn_repos/SqueakByExample/

The advantage of having the sources under subversion control is that
whenever the SBE authors update any part of the documentation, you can bring
your copy up to date by doing a 'svn update' command.

For much (!) more information about Subversion, you can refer to the book
at  http://svnbook.red-bean.com/

Hope this helps

Cheers Steve