[Newbies] managing windows in squeak

cdrick cdrick65 at gmail.com
Mon Apr 28 13:58:52 UTC 2008

Hi Peter

> Hi. I'm new to smalltalk and squeak. I'd like to know how experienced users
> manage the windows when programming with squeak. I often have a lot of
> windows open and struggle to find the right one. Are there keyboard
> shortcuts for switching between windows?

There are some if you load key mappers packages
(http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/1844). I find not very useful  (maily
because not intuitive, usual) though but I haven't spent lot of time
investigating.

> Is it possible to program without
> using the mouse at all?

Nope, as far as I know and this is quite annoying ! I'd love to have
such a possibility... or maybe just a touch-screen :)

> Does squeak have 'virtual desktops' or something
> like that?

Not really, Maybe you can use projects for that and switch between
them, but I don't

There seem to be only negative answers... you have a window menu where
there are several nice options, like collapse all, close all... This
menu is accessible through the open menu.

I also find UIEnhancement quite handy mainly because of the lower bar
where all windows can be minimized and also there is an overview (a la
vista) when passing the mouse over them (search UIEnhancement in
squeaksource). Also, I always use the double click on the upper border
that maximizes windows. I only work on maximized windows. Actually I'm
thinking tweaking my images so that all windows opens maximized.

Hope this is of some kind of help. I'm pretty sure you can get some
keyboard mapping eeasily too.

Cheers,

Cédrick