[Newbies] Best place to ask Smalltalk questions?

Sean Allen sean at monkeysnatchbanana.com
Sat Aug 2 04:08:51 UTC 2008

On Aug 1, 2008, at 6:01 PM, Randal L. Schwartz wrote:

> Sean> If I have beginner Smalltalk questions. What is the best forum
> for
> Sean> asking those?
>
> Sean> Here even if they aren't squeak specific?
>
> If you're learning Smalltalk by using Squeak, it makes sense to ask
> them here.
> If you're not using Squeak to learn, it might be best to start with an
> appropriate list for that vendor, simply because you might not know
> whether
> it's Squeak-specific or not.

i'm using squeak but i also know they arent really squeak specific
questions...

design type things like...

you have an instance variable you only want to allow to set once,
never again ( in that fashion its like variable binding in erlang. )
what is the accepted smalltalk way to do this? is there one?

or

how are the equivalent of c++ virtual methods handled in smalltalk?
what is the standard idiom for that design pattern?

those are two, i have more. is this the right forum? if not,
where would be the right forum?