[Newbies] How to delete a category?

John Chandler morph at growler.net
Mon Aug 11 11:13:56 UTC 2008

On Aug 11, 2008, at 10:21 AM, Yoshiki Ohshima wrote:

>> I mistakenly created a category with a misspelled name.
>
>   There are class categories and method categories.  Which one was it?

I'd have to say "class category," because in the 5-pane
browser (launched with Open->Class Browser and displaying
"System Browser" in its title-bar), when I create a new one,
I am presented in the lower pane with a dummy class
definition.

>   With a 5 pane browser (the standard one), right-clicking on the
> appropriate pane (either the left most of the top half or the third
> one from the left in the top half) should give you the context menu,
> and you can choose "rename" or "remove" from there.

OK, I found what you're talking about, but for me, on a
1-button Mac trackpad (I don't have my 3-button mouse with
me here), the combo is alt-click, which is inoperative in
most programs.  The right-click options are usually called
up with ctrl-click.  And yes, this is a side issue.

>> It's easy to delete the Class Browser, but not clear (to me) how to
>> delete this misspelled category.
>
>   What do you mean by "delete the Class Browser"?

When I right-click (ctrl-click) anywhere in the Browser, I
get a menu offering a "delete" option, which makes the
Browser disappear.

Rename or remove.  Alt-click.  Thanks.