[Newbies] Windows

Michael van der Gulik mikevdg at gmail.com
Thu Aug 14 21:53:02 UTC 2008

On Thu, Aug 14, 2008 at 1:28 PM, Roger Thedog <jeff at gingertom.com> wrote:

> I have looked at a couple of tutorials for Morphic but they are pretty low
> level. Is there a guide or a framework I can look at for writing windows
> that you would typically expect to see in a corporate application
> environment?

Morphic is a bit ugly (visually and architecturally) for creating a
corporate application. You could, in theory, do it, but I've never had fun
using Morphic directly. I use ToolBuilder instead.

Like David Zmick said, wxSqueak and GTK for Squeak exist. I don't know much
about them.

The best option, using Squeak, is to look at Seaside for making web-based
applications. http://www.seaside.st/. Web based applications seem to be all
the craze these days.

Otherwise, for a commercial application with a real GUI rather than a
web-based one(*), it's probably better to use a commercial Smalltalk.
http://www.smalltalk.org/ has a list of them. I've heard that VisualWorks is
quite good, although other people may suggest others.

Gulik.
(*) The implication that web-based GUIs are fake is my opinion only.

--
http://people.squeakfoundation.org/person/mikevdg
http://gulik.pbwiki.com/