[Newbies] accented characters + squeak

Lukas Renggli renggli at gmail.com
Mon Aug 18 05:31:09 UTC 2008

>  On the side of pier, accented characters spend. By against the same
>  asString text under squeak includes characters incomprehensible.
>  Moreover, I can not write with the keyboard one character accentuated in
>  squeak, it displays a debugger.

You are using a different encoding on the web, than Squeak is using internally.

Pier and Seaside normally treat data as byte-arrays, they don't care
what encoding they have (that works well for what Seaside and Pier are
doing). This is what the server-adapter WAKom is doing (or not doing).

If you want to convert data coming from the web to Squeak format, then
use WAKomEncoded instead of WAKom. This converts all data coming in
and going out to the right format, but is also sort of slow.

Don't miss the talk of Philippe:

   http://www.esug.org/Conferences/2008/WideStrings+and+utf-8

Cheers,
Lukas

>  In the workspace "print it" "234 asCharacter asString."
>  I see correctly the string with the "e" with its emphasis
>  circumflexe.
>
>  How to use accented characters in asString minimum?
>

>  Thank you for your help.
>
>  Herve Darce

Lukas Renggli
http://www.lukas-renggli.ch