[Newbies] accented characters + squeak

Bert Freudenberg bert at freudenbergs.de
Wed Aug 20 14:11:51 UTC 2008

Am 20.08.2008 um 06:19 schrieb Hervé Darce:

> How to write a character accentuated with my keyboard? Squeak
> displays the debbuger when I strike on the "é" on the keyboard. I
> can't use accented characters into squeak with keyboard.
> How to write a utf8 file? I am Linux utf8.
> So How to use utf8 and not latin-1 into squeak?

There were numerous missing pieces to make this work under Linux. But
a couple 100 000 kids in Spanish-speaking countries were motivation
enough to fix this in the OLPC VM and image :)

You should use the very latest Linux VM (3.10-1 is the latest
release). Your image might need fixing too, you could try if it works
with the Etoys image (it should):

http://etoys.laptop.org/src/etoys-image-and-pr.zip

- Bert -