[Newbies] The Bridge Playing example

Todd Blanchard tblanchard at mac.com
Mon Aug 25 15:46:13 UTC 2008

I don't have time to look at it today, but people interested in the
best of both worlds should check out how Character and String works.
There's only one instance of Character representing the letter 'a' in
the whole system, but there are many letter 'a's.  String stores bytes
for each character for compactness, but gives you back a Character
object when you call at:.  It is worth looking at how.  The pattern is
referenced in Object Design Patterns as 'Flyweight'.

-Todd Blanchard