[Newbies] Transcript usage

Herbert König herbertkoenig at gmx.net
Thu Dec 4 07:27:43 UTC 2008

Hello Sophie,

Si> How do I programatically:

Si> - Find an existing Transcript window, or create a new one

from exploring the menuItem "Open" "Transcript" in the world menu I
found that #openTranscript gets sent which is implemented as:
"Transcript open"

World's submorphs contains SystemWindows, one or more might respond
with 'Transcript' if you send it #label and return aTranscriptStream
if you send it #model

If it returns nil on #collapsedFrame it is not collapsed. As
smalltalkers always fell it necessary to provide convenience methods,
i tried #isCollapsed and it worked.

Si> - View it (if it was previously docked or minimized)

Similarly exploring an open transcript window I find that the collapse
button sends #collapsedOrExpand.

BTW I think the World inherits methods to find a particular submorph
from Morph and I'm sure Transcript offers some help on dealing with
its windows too.

Thanks for asking, I learned a bit again.

--
Cheers,

Herbert