[Newbies] How to make a PluggableTextMorph read-only?

Steve Wessels swessels1955 at yahoo.com
Tue Dec 9 11:42:36 UTC 2008

Daniel,

Actually, I know I solved this problem when I wrote eIRC for Squeak.  I don't have access to a computer system with Squeak development installed, so I cannot just quickly look up the code.

The most useful skill you can have when programming, in Squeak, Smalltalk, or any other development language, is what I've sometimes called "Code Archeology".  You should be able to take steps to read that source package whether it's compatible or not.  It's been some time since I've worked in Croquet, so I may be mistaken on some details, but you should be able to save your existing work in such a way that you can still install eIRC (if in fact it's not compatible), peruse the code for ideas, and then exit/quit your environment.  In this way you wouldn't change your working image.

Sorry, I'm not able to just directly answer your question.  My memory about the solution is that you will either find a protocol for the text pane, or it's controller, that can make it read-only, or you could simply subclass the pane and it's controller to add unique behavior like that.  I think the subclass technique is what I did because it gave me the added flexibilty of accepting some user keystrokes.  User keystrokes of up and down arrow and page keys are useful inputs, for example.  Copy and Paste key actions may also be desired.

I know I solved this kind of issue for eIRC several years ago, but can only describe the process or concept I used from memory.

Cheers,
- Steve