[Newbies] Re: A browser for the WordNet lexical db in Smalltalk, anybody?

Klaus D. Witzel klaus.witzel at cobss.com
Fri Dec 12 09:54:14 UTC 2008

Hi Steve,

on Fri, 12 Dec 2008 03:07:34 +0100, you wrote:

> On Thu, Dec 11, 2008 at 10:03 AM, Klaus D. Witzel wrote:
>> Hi Steve,
>>
>> on Thu, 11 Dec 2008 11:44:57 +0100, you wrote:
>>
>>> Hi Klaus,
>>>
>>> This is a great idea!  I'll be glad to test anything you create.
>>
>> :)
>>
>>> Unfortunately I don't have any time for development.
>>
>> Do you happen to know Norberto, he emailed that he made an object model
>> in
>> Squeak some time ago. Perhaps he can find it and send it to me over the
>> weekend.
>
> Don't know Norberto.  I hope he sends you an object model.  Maybe
> you're different but the blank sheet of paper is the hardest part of
> creating anything for me.

Na, that's the easier part ;) took objects without pointers (words ->
Strings, synset id's -> SmallIntegers, synsets -> subclass of LookupKey)
and Dictionary, easy and extendible.

Only performance of Dictionary is poor (unrelated to object model).

>> P.S. suggestions for a WordNet browser GUI in Squeak, anybody ?
>
> Typeahead for search,

Oh. Have you seen some (re-)usable code for that? This seems not to be soo
straight-forward with morphic Squeak (example: Preferences browser).

> mouseover for everything in the WN archive,

Nah, too many WN entries have more than a screen-full of info (all the
relations, all the synsets they point to, etc). I thought about a
*browser* like the Smalltalk browsers, with panes for categories/relations
and scrollable info-area.

> and
> an easy-to-extend model.  I'm interested in poetry so one thing I've
> thought about is adding some of poetry's technical details to a word's
> information---syllables, stresses, rhymes, etc.

This I do not understand. WordNet is about semantical relations of
synsets, not about isolated *words* (despite "word" in its name). There is
nothing one could store for one word, only for a synset/sense (multiple
words).

Of course a relation like "rhymes_with" could be added easily but, there's
nothing in WordNet for morphology, affixes, syllables and such.

>  With the right kind
> of interface, I could enter a poem I like and enter (some or all of)
> the information along the way, or just after.  Half an hour at a time.

So you think about a poetry text editor? well, I thought about a browser
for information retrival.