[Newbies] Squeak port

tjohnson at iwu.edu tjohnson at iwu.edu
Mon Dec 15 00:09:03 UTC 2008

The porting guide mentioned below got me going when I was porting Squeak to the Amiga a
couple of years ago.  However, it is very dated.  To get the most out of that text's
instructions, one should be working with (IIRC) the 3.2 image.  The text does not at all
describe VMMaker, which is prevalent in more recent images, nor does it fully cover the
changes in the event-handling subsystem (polling vs. events).  The rest of the information
(re: the VM's internals) is pretty darned useful though.

You are right though, of course, that for going from one Unix-based system to another, one
might not need to worry about some of the intricacies since the majority of the existing code
should work across Unix platforms.

- TimJ