[Newbies] Re: Squeak Guilt

Janko Mivšek janko.mivsek at eranova.si
Tue Dec 16 14:34:37 UTC 2008

Hi Zulq,

It is good to hear about efforts to port things from Python to
Smalltalk. Much needed because for such task one must know both
languages well. I hope you'll start releasing soon. And don't forget the
hardest task, persuading Smalltalkers what are your ports about :)

Janko

Zulq Alam wrote:
> Hi Ryan,
>
> How about taking some Java libraries relevant to your area of interest
> and porting them to Squeak/Smalltalk?
>
> I've ended up using Python for most of my work because of the libraries
> available (BeautifulSoup is one). Although Python is OK, I would love to
> be working in a Smalltalk environment. To keep involved in
> Squeak/Smalltalk I have been porting some of the libraries that forced
> the decision. This meant reading and understanding a lot of relevant
> Python code and working in Squeak on something the community may find
> useful. It seems like a good compromise to me.
>
> Now if only I had time to release something useable? ;)
>
> - Zulq
>
> Ryan Zerby wrote:
>> I'm in a position where I want to learn Squeak/Smalltalk because it's
>> cool, but I find myself thinking that I should spend my time working
>> on something that might actually advance my career.  I used to be a
>> Java Programmer, but am now a Build Engineer, so  I don't directly
>> program anymore.  I feel that I should be keeping my Java skills up...
>> but that just isn't as spiffy
>>
>> Anyone else in this boat? Is there a Squeak Support Group? A 12 step
>> program?  Anyone have a good rationale why I can go ahead and spend my
>> time on Squeak without feeling guilty? :) :)

Janko Mivšek
AIDA/Web
Smalltalk Web Application Server
http://www.aidaweb.si