[Newbies] Squeak Guilt

Mark Volkmann mark at ociweb.com
Tue Dec 16 17:24:34 UTC 2008

On Dec 16, 2008, at 10:54 AM, tjohnson at iwu.edu wrote:

>> You've hit on a lot of my exact reasons.  When I make an application,
>> it would be nice to be able to show it to my friends, and there is
>> zero chance that they will actually install squeak.  I can get away
>> with this for some things by using the webbased squeak app... but not
>> for desktop things. I like writing casual games and the AI applicable
>> to them.
>
> The fact that Sophie is available as a self-contained app based on
> Squeak (and MIT's Scratch?
> ) shows that with the correct dedication, and by following the
> correct procedures, one can
> package up an app using Squeak and have it be mass-consumed.

It's the fact that creating a self-contained app. based on Squeak
requires lots of dedication and following lots of procedures that is
the issue. I'm surprised that those steps haven't been automated more.
It seems to me we should be able to press a button, select a top-level
class and have the application be generated in a way that is ready to
run standalone.

---
Mark Volkmann