[Newbies] Re: Squeak Guilt

Claus Kick claus_kick at web.de
Tue Dec 16 20:43:41 UTC 2008

Klaus D. Witzel wrote:
> On Tue, 16 Dec 2008 20:50:58 +0100, Claus Kick wrote:
>
>> Mark Volkmann wrote:
>>
>>> That sounds great for applications with a web interface, but I wish
>>> there was a more attractive, easier way to do the same thing with
>>> Squeak-based non-web applications.
>>

>> I think that is mainly a problem of Squeak though, not Smalltalk in
>> general. I fully agree though, the UI system of Squeak is just not good.
>

> Does it just look not good to you (have you checked
> UI-Enhancements/Polymorph) or what part of it do you mean?

No, I have yet to check Polymorph. I must be blind, but I dont see it on
SqueakMap - where is it?

Other than the looks, I do not like the "feeling", the speed, the
absence of native widgets (why do everything yourself? you have an OS to
participate from!)

I know, even Cincom canned their "first new owner-drawn system, then on
top of that native widgets if the platform allows"-Projects
(Pollock/Panda/Chagall). Having worked a bit in that direction, I also
know how tedious or more likely impossible a task this is.

Still, one has dreams or graphics contexts being written to the GPU
directly ... hm, sounds like OpenGL, doesnt it?