[Newbies] Re: Debugging Squeak

Jerome Peace peace_the_dreamer at yahoo.com
Fri Feb 8 01:33:44 UTC 2008

[Newbies] Debugging Squeak

Hi Mr Chang,

There is another way to recover. What you have done so
have others before you. Squeak is prone to being used
in ways that cause it to crash. (It lets you do
anything).

The fall back is to go back to a fresh image. And to
recover the desirable part of your work from the
.changes file.

In the image that crashes there is a (large ?)
companion file with the same name and .changes at the
end. This is a log of the significant things you did
to change your image. It will contain the text of all
your modifications and more.

Get a text editor able to handle large files. Search
to where you began to make your changes. I have found
the name of my harddrive a good search word to use to
skip past previous entries. Or you can go to the end
of the file and page backward as far as necessary.

It will probably be a good idea to isolate your
changes by copying them to a smaller file and then
working with that.  Big files usually slow down
editors.

Then the job is hunting out what you want to keep from
what you don't.
Copy and reenter those to your fresh image. Then use
saveAs... to create your working copy of your freshly
recreated work.

Test it for robustness and if it seems like its good
use saveAs... again to create a current working copy.
You now have a fresh image; a backup image with your
recreated work; and a crashable working image.

Whenever you've made significant progess in your
project create a backup to fall back upon. Then
proceed. Learn how to save change sets and projects.
These can also allow you to recreate our work in a
fresh image w/o the need to dive into the changes
file.

You can always file out nearly anything as a snippet
of code. Frequent fileoouts of significant
developments is the easiest way to protect yourself
w/o too much work or disk storage capacity.

***
>K Chang alongtheridge at gmail.com
>Fri Feb 1 01:04:40 UTC 2008
>
>    I tried that out,but the system is too busy to
show up the "Show CPU
>usage".Guess what I did was so evil for the system
that it won't respond.

gmail.com> wrote:

>> > Hi,
>> > I was trying to make some modifications on
Squeak.
>> > After some coding work,I found my Squeak now
consumes almost 95% CPU
>> > time and more than 100M mem, and it seems like it
won't slow down unless i
>> > close it. I've already saved the image and the
CPU consuming problem comes
>> > out right after starting Squeak with out running
any code I wrote,
>> > my question is, is there any debugging tools that
i could find out which
>> > process or chunk of code is slowing down my
squeak ? I've tried
>> > MessageTally,didn't work.
>> >

>> Open up the process browser and enable the options
"Show CPU usage" and
>> "Auto update". I can't remember exactly what all
the names are, but you
>> should be able to work it out. This shows you which
process is using all the
>> CPU, and you can suspend it, debug it or terminate
it.

***