[Newbies] Morphic Questions

Jeffrey Straszheim jstraszheim at comcast.net
Thu Feb 14 05:22:26 UTC 2008

I have some basic intro questions on Morphic.  I'm digging through the
source code, and reading what I can find on the web, but it is quite a
lot to take in.

1. Messages

There seem to be at least 2 ways to handle messages with Morphic.  The
subclassing way, overriding methods such as *handlesMouseDown* and so
on, and *on:send:to:* way.  What are the differences between the two,
and why would I prefer one over the other?

2. MorphicModel

The MorphicModel class appears to be for morphs that implement the view
side of MVC.  However, I find the source rather confusing.  What on
earth is a *slotSelector*, for instance?  And a method like
*compileAccessForSlot* just leaves me baffled.  What is this class for,
and are there any simple examples of its use?

3. PasteUpMorph

I know that the screen background is a PasteUpMorph, but I see them
mentioned elsewhere from time to time.  What exactly is a PasteUpMorph?
Would I ever want to use one?  Is there a simple example?

Thanks in advance for your help.

P.S.  I just figure out how to make balloon text work.  This stuff is cool!

--
Jeffrey Straszheim
http://straszheim.50megs.com