[Newbies] Re: is 0.1 a Float or a ScaledDecimal ?

Klaus D. Witzel klaus.witzel at cobss.com
Wed Feb 20 18:30:38 UTC 2008

On Wed, 20 Feb 2008 18:27:09 +0100, cdrick wrote:

> I think all this is premature optimization for me :) as I'm only
> building an early prototype (I'm doing a start of Dempster Shafer
> Theory [1] implementation (actually Transferable Belief Model)... and
> it's won't reach a big size for a while. It allows to have an
> imprecise, incomplete even uncertain value for a proposition (sort of
> multi-valued attribute with confidence...).

Waaah, belief and plausibility as sum over numbers; shudder;
political-systems-failure through machine calculations; market-meltdown
through machine calculations; poverty-for-everyone through machine
calculations :( Anyways, have you compared to Pei Wang's NARS (or perhaps
his "The limitation of Bayesianism"), that would be interesting [OT].
Tried to convince him that fractions are sufficient for him but he liked
floats more (his early J* prototype had no system support for fractions
...).

Do you have calculations of your model's epsilon on which you base your
"imprecise", "uncertain", etc ? Or do you at present (for the prototype)
just stab in the dark.