[Newbies] The bouncing sound

polishookm polishookm at mail.montclair.edu
Sun Feb 24 00:59:43 UTC 2008

Hi Herbert,

Thanks for all trying and suggesting .... it's much appreciated - and
provides a lot of context for the classroom. I'm take a look at the
project file you sent It's great to know that so much constructive
feedback is available through the list.

Ab,

Mar,

Herbert König wrote:
> Hi Mark,
>

> p> That's an interesting observation. Did you, perchance, play with it to
> p> see what a more intuitive (for you) solution would look like? I had the
>
> thanks for asking, that made me try :-))
>
> p> All suggestions welcome ...
>
> Nearly everything i know about Etoys is from the Squeak video DVD. So
> I opened the viewer of the paddle and it has a tile "PongPaddleA's
> heading" which jumps between 0 and 180 when bouncing.
>
> So the simple solution would be to add a "PongPaddleA's heading = 0"
> to the script. I thought I'd just have to drop the tile onto the
> script. But this doesn't work, the script doesn't accept the tile.
>
> This reminded me of several posts on squeak dev that 3.9 is not good
> for etoys. So I guess the Thing to do is follow Scott's advice and use
> a Squeakland image.
>
> Dropping the Project onto a 3.8 image doesn't work, this is also
> known.
>
> So I redid it from Ground up in my 3.8 image using an arrow as the
> pong paddle (guess why). It made the sound but didn't turn on bounce.
> There I learned that one has to drag a tile by the arrow to get it
> into a script.
>
> Then I tried this in 3.9 and in 3.9 the arrow also didn't turn and the
> the trick with fixing the heading of the sketch also worked.
>
> So I proved my accusations on 3.9 unfounded, Sorry 3.9 :-))
>
> Now drop the one who did (against better knowledge) something the
> first time and let the project leader speak up.
>
> What I did with fixing the heading of the paddle in the script was "an
> ugly hack". The price to pay is more uglyness if we ever want to use
> "Paddle turn by Joysticks leftRigt" by having to simulate differential
> geometry by "absolute geometry".
>
> So the way to go is find out what makes the Sketch (the inspector
> shows the paddle is a SketchMorph) misbehave on bounce. Maybe there is
> a reason and then you should use a wide line as your paddle.
>
> Finally:
>
> - Attached is my changed 3.9 Project. --> Not to the list but private
> mail
>
> - Maybe this is off topic here, at least you might get better advice
> on the squeakland mailing list (where I'm not subscribed).
>
> - I'd be curious and willing to comment on further development of the
> project, maybe by private mail unless somebody here also wants to
> follow this.
>
> Cheers
>
> Herbert                            mailto:herbertkoenig at gmx.net

Mark Polishook, D.M.A.
Technology Coordinator
Morehead Hall, Rm 132
Center for Academic Advising and Adult Learning
Montclair State University
Montclair, NJ 07043

(973)-655-7114
http://www.montclair.edu/AcademicAdvising/html