[Newbies] The bouncing sound

polishookm polishookm at mail.montclair.edu
Sun Feb 24 07:03:15 UTC 2008

Hi Scott,

Scott Wallace wrote:
> Of course it's the "fence" that allows this second solution to work.
> If your student didn't know about the "fence", I suppose he/she felt
> an urge to use "bounce" in an attempt to contend with the situation at
> the boundary, and that led to the complications we've seen.

This basically describe the situation. Is there a place somewhere where
the fence is described (other than an email thread)? I know (now) that
the balloon pops up from the playfield option in the World menu ....

> This is probably a case where trying things out very early in the
> authoring process would have been helpful.  Trying out the simple
> "forward" script would have revealed that it already worked, with the
> only task remaining being to experiment with different values for the
> scaling factor to get the best "feel," and hence the siren song of
> "bounce" might have been avoided.
I agree with you on this. But at the same time, in the early process of
working with Squeak/E-toys - or really almost any development
environment, there are significant forces other than logical
progression/procedure that come into play. Having said that, what turned
out to be helpful in class was discussion that ensued about the fence
issue. For  example: (1) how quickly an explanation for the fence was
available on the list, (2) how flexible features in a development
environment are very different from fixed menu choices in an application
(3) how close to the surface the solution actually was, eg, a menu
choice in playfield, (4) soon to surface shortly - the difference
between Squeak and Squeakland, (5), and discussion of the tradeoffs that
features sometimes bring.

.... One more question that seems to have come up. The student found
today that saving the project in 3.9 (as a PR) doesn't seem to be
reliable. At least that's the report I have. The symptom specifically,
is some of the tiles that trigger on and off scripts don't seem to work
after being saved into a PR file (and then being reloaded). I have no
idea at the moment is this is the inexperience of someone new to Squeak
or if its something else. From the students' experience, saving the
project to a PR file is disabling some scripts whereas saving it in an
image seems to be just fine.

I'm going to follow up on this and see what I can learn ....

Ab,

Mark

polishookm at mail.montclair.edu