[Newbies] The bouncing sound

Scott Wallace madevu at pacbell.net
Sun Feb 24 09:06:21 UTC 2008

On Feb 23, 2008, at 11:03 PM, polishookm wrote:

> .... One more question that seems to have come up. The student found
> today that saving the project in 3.9 (as a PR) doesn't seem to be
> reliable. At least that's the report I have. The symptom
> specifically, is some of the tiles that trigger on and off scripts
> don't seem to work after being saved into a PR file (and then being
> reloaded). I have no idea at the moment is this is the inexperience
> of someone new to Squeak or if its something else. From the
> students' experience, saving the project to a PR file is disabling
> some scripts whereas saving it in an image seems to be just fine.

I have almost no experience with etoys in 3.9, so can't speak to this
issue -- sorry.

I've not heard of such issues arising in the versions of Squeak in
which the etoys piece has been actively maintained, i.e. Squeakland
and olpc/etoys.  It would be interesting to hear if your students
encounter the same problems using one of those systems -- if so,
please send along a project illustrating the problem.

Finally, one last time, if you want a modern, up-to-date, documented,
*supported* etoys experience, you'd be well advised to use the olpc/
etoys squeak image (or the forthcoming Squeakland release derived from
that).  These are *not* dumbed-down Squeaks; the "dev" versions are
full-scale, industrial-strength Squeak systems, encompassing all of
3.8, plus Connectors, and incorporating countless enhancements and
fixes.  And a responsible and responsive development team.  And,
blessedly, an update stream.

There are two mailing lists devoted to uses of Squeak in education --
see: