[Newbies] Method category tags

cdrick cdrick65 at gmail.com
Mon Feb 25 18:05:28 UTC 2008

> Huh? when you say New Category..., you get a list with several
>  categories you might logically want:
>  - The most popular categories globally
>  - The most popular categories in the superclass
>  - Your most common category creation requests

Actually I don't except for the class category... quite strage. Maybe
only related to OB

>  > My wish is I'd like to define categories as tags so I can attach
>  > several to method. This could be interesting to declare private method
>  > and classes extensions...
>  >
>  > Would it be possible and would you find useful to have that
>  > possibility ? Maybe we could use a pragma like syntax.
>  >
>  > AClass>>aMethod
>  > <category: #private category: #accessing category: #toRefactor
>  > extension: myPackage trait: TPureBehavior>
>  > ....

> Power? Heh. Categories are just to document the intended use of
>  the methods by association. I wouldn't want them to be in
>  syntax; that would make recategorizing slow. The usual way to
>  change the category of a method is by drag/drop, which beats
>  typing something comment-like.

I thought this could be done by the browser... the syntax could be hidden

>  Maybe tags could use the annotation pane above the text window.
>
>  I've never really seen a reason to associate a method with more
>  than two groups.

yep but 2 is more than one ;) . It also could be handy for monticello
extension + personnal flags... I don't know hiw MC2 will deal with
extensions though

>  Nonetheless, Categorizer could do that; just
>  have the same symbol in multiple categories. Harder, though,
>  would be correctly making a file-out or MC package with a new
>  assumption that categories work differently than they have.

uhm ok. Thanks for answers ;)

Cédrick