[Newbies] Re: Morph speeds up stepping when grabbed

Jerome Peace peace_the_dreamer at yahoo.com
Wed Jan 2 13:47:23 UTC 2008

[Newbies] Morph speeds up stepping when grabbed

Hi kropki,

I'm glad you were able to solve your problem.

A while back I did some experimenting. What I saw was
that browsers, particularly overlaping browser, were
the culprit.

When your morph is in the world (as opposed to when it
is in the hand i.e. picked up) to update itself squeak
needs to redraw all the morphs that are also within
the boundries of your morph. If this includes a
browser this will slow things down.  If it overlaps
several browsers...  Well you can read the mantis
report if your curiosity is still on.

http://bugs.squeak.org/view.php?id=2084
0002084: Each overlaping browser slows down screen
updates considerably. Caching the image would speed
things up.

The hand knows it is going to be updated frequently so
it does clever things (like storing the pixels under
it) in order to speed up the drawing process. This
means when your morph was picked up it got special
treatment. In particular it did not trigger the
redrawing of the browsers.

Yours in service and curiosity, --Jerome Peace