[Newbies] About installing magma

Xinyu Liu liuxinyu95 at gmail.com
Wed Jan 9 08:32:01 UTC 2008

Hi,

I tried to install Magma, failed many times and finally get it installed. So
I want to share my experience with all new guys to Magma.

I first try to installed it form Package universal browser as described in
seaside tutorial[1], persistence chapter.
The image I used is downloaded from Damien Cassou's link (
sq3.9-7067-web.08.01.1).
When I selected "Magma tester 1.0 r40" from "Persistence" category and
install it, I always got "download error". (both in windows and linux)

Then I tried to evaluate the following lines from
http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/6021

Installer squeaksource project: 'Installer'; install: 'Installer-Core'.
Installer universe
      answer:'username' with:'admin';
      answer:'password' with:'seaside';
      install: 'Magma seasideHelper';
      install.

But I got "VM crash" fatal error. I tried all kinds of methods including
download the latest 3.10 VM and image from www.squeak.org.
and all got same "VM crash" error.

Finally I downloaded all the necessary Magma mcz files manually from
http://www.squeaksource.com/Magma/ to my package-cache folder.
there is a mcm file seems as monticello configuration.

Then I open monticello and try to load the mcm, but get some bug, so I
opened the mcm file manually, and installed the mcz files one by one
as specified in that mcm file.

This method finally got Magma installed and works ok.

Best regards.
Yours,
-Xinyu

--