[Newbies] Squeak for robot imaging and scientific applications

Robert F. Scheer rfscheer at speakeasy.net
Sun Jan 20 13:02:26 UTC 2008

On Sun, 2008-01-20 at 13:29 +0100, Herbert König wrote:
> Hello Robert,
>
> RFS> I am using Squeak to control a robot, specifically a RoboMagellan
> RFS> outdoor navigating robot.  Pretty soon it will be important to confront
> RFS> how to implement the computer vision on this robot.  The OS is Linux.
>
> Jon Hylands is doing robot control in Squeak, see www.huv.com and
> several others do too.

Thanks Herbert, yes, I already get a lot of help directly from Jon and
that's how I know about sockets and how to interface to packages like
OpenCV that is written in C++.

So far it looks like the practical approach involves using an external
vision system that you interface Squeak to.  So you end up coding in C/C
++ or conceivably some other language like Python for that part of the
system.

Maybe this question requires advanced answers and should be posed on the
dev forum but it's really a newbie question and is very important for
anyone thinking about using Squeak in a science or engineering
context.

> You will find information in the archives of squeak dev.

I'll look through the archives for this discussion.

- Robert