[Newbies] "Smart Paper"?

Steven Claflin stevenclaflin at gmail.com
Sat Jul 5 18:13:28 UTC 2008

Hi Rob,

I wanted to thank you for your email to the list and your struggles. I
am just beginning to learn about Squeak and being an old procedural
programmer (PDP-11), OOP in general is kind of backwards to my way of
thinking, and so I can identify with your feeling as though you are just
not online all the way. The first programming that I did that was at all
object oriented was in Visual Basic many years ago, and I can remember
thinking; "Ok, these buttons and windows and textboxes can react to
actions, but how do you start the whole thing going?" It's kind of
laughable now, but at the time I was used to: first you have the
computer do one thing, then the next thing, and so on... So its like I
was sitting there waiting for the program to do something and the
program was sitting there waiting for me to do something.

I am hoping that as I go through the material, ideas which aren't
immediately understandable will become so after getting more info. It's
hard to do that, because it makes me feel uncomfortable to feel as
though I'm not getting it. When I was going to school for my degree in
electronics there was a lot of that, and that turned out ok.

Good luck, hopefully we'll get it. :-)

Steve