[Newbies] Level Playing Field image compression side effect

Rob Rothwell r.j.rothwell at gmail.com
Sun Jul 6 20:25:37 UTC 2008

Hello...

I have noticed that after installing packages (say for example starting with
a dev image and loading everything else you need), my image will swell
considerably (as noticed both on the disk after saving, and with
MemoryUsage).  Garbage collection and saving doesn't seem to fix it, but if
I re-run the level playing field script, it seems to clean things up.

I'm not sure what it's doing, but I thought it worth passing on...

However, if you do this a lot (because you mess things up so badly that you
have to unload and re-load packages to get things straightened out, which I
can confess to on the Beginners List), make sure you do a Smalltalk
condenseChanges every now and then, or it will come back to bite you too!

Rob