[Newbies] UTF support in Linux?

smith02243 add_aaron_2_x at hotmail.com
Tue Jul 8 21:09:23 UTC 2008

Hi all,

In the Linux VM, when I try to input, via paste or the right alt
combination, non-ascii characters, like 'ö' or 'é' for example, Squeak
merely shows 'o?' or 'e?' I researched into this and accordingly chose a
font that supports UTF-8 and set the locale and VM command line options
appropriately:

export LC_CTYPE="en_IE.UTF-8"
locale-gen en_IE.UTF-8
(...which claims that locale is upto date...)
sudo dpkg-reconfigure -plow locales
(...which outputs en_IE.UTF-8... done among other things....)
squeak -encoding UTF-8 -textenc UTF-8 -pathenc UTF-8
Squeak3.10.2-7179-basic.image

Now when I try to input the aforementioned characters I encounter a debug
message: "Error subscript is out of bound."

However, I have set Squeak's language to Spanish and then German, and the
characters display perfectly well in the menus. Although, the same cannot be
said for the any files with non-ascii characters in the file dialogue. So,
it seems it's an input problem.

Anyone with any ideas? Thanks.