[Newbies] Application data management

cdrick cdrick65 at gmail.com
Thu Jul 10 09:58:11 UTC 2008

>>> here its just a list of
>>> filenames).
>>>

>> filenames ?
>>

> Hehe, Strings I should say...

Can you give one or two examples. Strings are not usual. I mean, it's
better not to store objects as string ;) Unless you need to read your
persistence backups, it's better to store with stuff like
ImageSegment, SmartRefStream (look at the in your image - class
comment)... But you've tools for that.

These posts could help: http://onsmalltalk.com/category/databases/

>> The squeal image is a kind of cache. It can be used to save but it
>> shouldn't as not always reliable, threadsafe, etc...
>> There's plenty of option for persistence. One I tried recently is
>> Sandstone (in squeaksource), it's an active record like persistence
>> solution that save objects into files.
>>

>> What kind of data ? records, objects...
>>

> What do you mean by a record?
Table record, relation   -> Relational database maybe

If objects, before using a proper OODB, have a look at that:
http://www.squeaksource.com/SandstoneDb

Cheers,

Cédrick