[Newbies] Application data management

Bert Freudenberg bert at freudenbergs.de
Thu Jul 10 10:22:20 UTC 2008

Am 10.07.2008 um 09:59 schrieb Felix Dorner:

> Hi,
>
> I am thinking of how application data is best persisted in squeak
> apps. Probably I have problems in distinguishing the Squeak
> "platform" and  my Application.
>
> If I see my application as a part of squeak, then I guess there's no
> need for custom resource management - as soon as a user does
> "save.." all is saved automatically, including my app data (here its
> just a list of filenames).
>
> Is that the intended way? Or is "Save..." intended for developing
> only? Gee squeak is really different.

Typically a user would not save the image of an app. This is a dev-
time feature only.

> Otherwise, I could do it all manually, persist my data to
> somehomedir/.myappdata
>
> How can I get the current user home?

There is no way in regular Squeak. You can use FFI or pass it from the
script running your app.

The shining example for this is Sophie:

	http://www.sophieproject.org/

They have a Files-Locations package using FFI to find out about system-
specific directories for app data, documents, images, desktop etc.

- Bert -