[Newbies] separating app from platform-specific parts of image?

John Chandler morph at growler.net
Sat Jul 12 17:24:06 UTC 2008

On Jul 12, 2008, at 1:52 PM, David T. Lewis wrote:
> On Sat, Jul 12, 2008 at 10:36:50AM +0200, John Chandler wrote:
>>
>> OK, but if my image is for Mac OS X PPC, and the target machine is
>> Debian x86, will the image I copy to it even start up?
>
> Yes, it will work fine. Amazing but true.

Thanks to all who responded.  I suppose my confusion had
something to do with the different conceptual bases underlying
Unices, on the one hand, and Squeak, on the other.  Files
vs. all-the-way-down objects.  And I'm very unused to being able
to get away with thinking in terms of the abstraction rather than
the implementation and having things "just work."

Again, thanks.

-jmc